Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automounter Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

krishsays

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2004
GB
Hi ,

We have automounting running with NIS in our environment and at the moment it works for several clients. Now I came with one new NIS slave server. I installed Solaris 8 ( NIS master is on solaris 6) and made this server as a NIS slave server , I can read all the maps using ypcat -k command. But now when I login with a user who is in NIS to this slave server , the user gets the error that "No directory! Logging in with home=/" .
I have restarted the the automounter daemon and still the problem is there. I am able to mount those home directories using mount -F nfs option.

Please can somebody let me know what all things i should look into to troubleshooting this.

thanks
Kris

Try command ypwhich to see who the NIS server you are using.
Try command ypcat auto.home | grep <username> how the auto_home structure is listed... Also check the /etc/passwd file to see if the home directories (next to last entry) for the users are set to /home/<username> instead of the direct path example: /export/home/<username>...

ypwhich shows the it is binding to right NIS master server.

ypcat -k auto.home shows :
+auto_home

ypcat -k auto.direct shows :
bash-2.03# ypcat -k auto.direct
/home/cassa7 asgnfs:/home/cassa7
/home/cassa6 asgnfs:/home/cassa6
/home/cassa5 asgnfs:/home/cassa5
/home/cassa3 asgnfs:/home/cassa3
/home/cassa2 asgnfs:/home/cassa2
/home/cassa1 asgnfs:/home/cassa1
/home/cassa asgnfs:/home/cassa

although the user entries in /etc/passwd is not having home directories starting with /home .. but user's home directory in NIS is ypcat -k passwd|grep xxx
xxx:eek:r0ALIkp5AccI:10490:1:xxx:/home/cassa5/nisheeth:/bin/sh

do you see any issue here .?

Check for nsswitch.conf for automount. I never put
a leading "/" in any map but if it works on other machines correctly, then that can't be the problem.

Check out /etc/mnttab to see if the automounter put the correct entry for /home.

gene

You setup is quite different than what I am use to seeing... Using auto_direct vs auto_home to mount home directories is unique... But, from what I can see by your setup, it should work (I think)...

Try this:

enter the command: su - <username>

This command should automount the home directory in /home... If it doesn't, either the home directory no longer exists or, there is something wrong with how autofs is mounting the auto_direct directories.

As elgrandeperro stated, because you are using NIS, the /etc/nsswitch.conf should be a copy of /etc/nsswitch.nis. But, looking at /etc/mnttab may a little hard to read since it isn't fromatted very well... /etc/mnttab is a system file... You can check to see if automount succeeded in mounting the home directory by using command; df -k | grep <username>

Does your auto_master (in NIS) still have an entry for auto_direct? I typically remove it if I don't need it.

Also, the beauty of looking at mnttab is not only does it list
what is mounted, but the ones listed as autofs tell you which ones are WATCHED by automounter, I don't think you need to figure out the path to invoke a mount.

Just
grep autofs /etc/mnttab

gene

Hi All,

thanks for your replies ...I guess the issue was with naming conventions. As i told that my auto.home map has entry as +auto_home i added a entry as +auto.home and restarted the automounter ....it started working ...

anyway thanks for your help.
Kris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back