Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

automediamangment with different media types sdlt/sdlt320

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom303r

Technical User
Aug 27, 2003
DE
Hello,

If i do an mminfo of all tapes in the library to query the media type there are diffrent types: dlt,sdlt und sdlt320.

The Devices are SDLT320.

The Networker will mount a Tape with automediamanagment only if it has the type sdlt320.

All recyclable Tapes in Lib are sdlt. So Networker don´t get a Tape to write to.

Now i must manual label a Tape so it has the sdlt320 and NW can write to it.

How can i fix that ? How can i switch the media Type of a Volume.

I use NW 7.13 with STK L700 and STK L180

I hope you use auto media management for the jukebox and not for the devices.

Officially, mixed media is not even supportes if you do not use AutoStart as well or a STL (silo Type Library). On the other hand, it should work according to the specs as long as you label the media manually - as you usually can not predict the drive NW will use.

But is it also possible that you selected devices for pools which now will cause the problem?

Are these tapes being used anywhere else other than this specific Networker server ?

If you use a tape, withdraw it, and then deposit it back into the silo and inventory, does it show correct media type ?

are you using a script to perform labelling or to place media into an scratch pool (recycled) ? maybe its not doing it correctly ?

The tapes are labeld before with Legato AlphaStor with type sdlt. Now we dont use AS. The Librarys are connected to NW direct.
The Devices are sdlt320.
If i withdraw/deposit and do inventory the volumen has the same "wrong" type sdlt.
How can i switch the volume type without labeling ?
Is there a command to manipulate the media database ?

How can i make a script that can label all Tapes with the type is sdlt and the tape is recyclable.

mminfo -q loacation=STKL700,type=sdlt,volrecycle -r volume

and now ? how can i label the volumes in the list ?

As you found out correctly, you can not assign another media type without relabeling it. Consequently you just have to relabel it in an sdlt320 drive. To do this correctly
just use an appropriate device for your nsrjb command. There are a lot of examples in the manpage.

Unfortunately, there is no input file you can provide, only a certain slot range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back