Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automation of scheduling cubes into Powerplay Enterprise Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

synchronoss

Programmer
Dec 9, 2002
US
Hi,

Can anyone suggest me if there is any possibility of automatically scheduling the built cubes into Powerplay Enterprise Server. Is there any ready Cognos scripts available to do this job?

Appreciate your responses!

Thanks
Pradeep

Do you mean is there a way of scheduling to build the cubes automatically?

J

synch,

Do a Keyword search here in the forum on 'cube schedule' using the tab at the top of the screen and the 'All Words' option.

Regards,

Dave Griffin
The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]

you can write a batch like :

PPAdmTool < DISABLE.Txt
Trnsfrmr -n2 -nologo -kDatabase_Signon=User/Pwd Cube_Name.mdl
PPAdmTool < ENABLE.Txt

File DISABLE.Txt :
Connect ServerName USER Administrator PASSWORD Your_PWD
Kill &quot;Cube_Name_In_PPES&quot;
Disable &quot;Cube_Name_In_PPES&quot;
EXIT

File ENABLE.Txt :
Connect ServerName USER Administrator PASSWORD Your_PWD
Enable &quot;Cube_Name_In_PPES&quot;
EXIT

You call this batch via the scheduler of Cognos and it's OK !!!

J

There is a way to schedule building of cubes automatically. I have written a macro that would perform this job. This macro will even read all the cubes by opening the Cubes folder and pick each cube in the folder and start building them. Also this macro logs the process showing complete details of the cubes being built with time stamp and also the ones which failed during cube building process..

Sync

Hi Sync

Please send us this code. It sounds good.

THX

:->

Hey Sync,

I'm interested in your macro. Can you publish the code?

Thanx

De Wegenwachter

Before Enable &quot;Cube_Name_In_PPES&quot;
make Kill &quot;Cube_Name_In_PPES&quot;
else you may have the enable failed

By the way,

PPES is not a scheduler. It publishes and hosts the PowerPlay cubes and reports.

If you want to automate it, consider some of the options given to you already here. Be sure to disable the cube before building or copying the cube. I don't recommend the first option above -- it is best to build the cube in one location, then move it to a PRODUCTION location when it is done, and you have done verification that it is OK. This will usually significantly reduce downtime of the cube -- only the time to copy it will it be down, versus disabling it, building, and then re-enabling, which can potentially be a fair amount of time. Also, if there is a build problem, you won't &quot;disrupt&quot; the current good cube.

Cheers,

Brownlec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back