Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automation: Excel instance references

Status
Not open for further replies.

AppStaff

Programmer
Sep 21, 2002
US
I have a program that is structured like this

sub Main
Dim objXL as excel.application
Dim objwkb as excel.workbook
dim objsht as excel.worksheet

Set Objxl=..
set objwkb=..
set objsht=...

Do stuff here

Call Sub Procedure

Call Sub Procedure

set objsht=nothing
set objwkb=nothing
set objxl=nothing

end Main

My Problem/Question is with the sub Procedures.

If I run the procedure with Excel closed everything works fine. If excel is open then it seems to get confused about which instance of excel to use. I tried to reference the work book name and pass it on to the sub procedures but it still doesn't recognize the correct instance. How do I ensure that the different parts of my program know the right instance to act against?

I'm fairly inexperienced at automation so any code samples or links are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi,

Can't say without looking at how you are referencing the excel objects in each procedure.

That's the code that you need to post.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be Advised![/red] For those this winter, caught in Arctic-like calamity, be consoled...
Many are cold, but few are frozen![tongue][/sub]

This is one way i tried in the sub procedures.

objwkb is a string name of the workbook being acted on.

Set db = CurrentDb
Set objXL = Excel.Application
Set objsht = objXL.Workbooks(objwkb).Worksheets(2)

This works fine unless I have another instance of excel open when i run it. Then it errors out indicating it can't find the workbook.

I also tried objXL= Getobject(,"Excel.application"). Same result. Thanks for responding skip.

Are you sure that objwbk is a string and not a workbook object, in which case you could ought to be...
Code:
Set objwbk = objxl.Workbooks.Open "some workbook name"
Set objsht = objwkb.Worksheets(2)
What else do you do in this procedure?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be Advised![/red] For those this winter, caught in Arctic-like calamity, be consoled...

Yup, its a string. Unconvential naming I know. In my experimenting I didnt change my convention to match my method.

It works fine unless I run it with excel already running and I don't have clear enough understanding of how the various instances of an application object are declared and recognized.

Look at the HELP on GetObject. There is a function there that tests if Excel is running.

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back