Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

automating Telnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoraC

Programmer
May 7, 2002
US
Hi,

I know it's possible to automate FTP actions, but is it possible to do this with Telnet? I haven't yet found a way, but it seems as though this "should" be possible. In other words, I'd like a way to have a script Telnet to a server, execute commands, and return again all without human intervention.

Any help GREATLY appreciated...
Dora

You can use [tt]rsh[/tt] to execute commands on another system. Set up a [tt].rhosts[/tt] file on the other system and you won't have to supply a password. Using [tt]rsh[/tt] is much easier than trying to make [tt]telnet[/tt] do what you want.

Just check the man pages for usage.

Hope this helps.

SamBones' is on this one too. I would add if you do not have rsh set up, consider ssh. If you have to set one up, this is secure and it has the added advantage that once you create the keys (you run a one time process to do this -- 45 seconds) you don't need to sign into the remote box. It uses the trusted key as validation, so no userids and passwords in scripts, cron, etc.

You did not mention your specific OS so....
and

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back