Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

automating scripts + writing vb without vb6

Status
Not open for further replies.

collierd

MIS
Dec 19, 2001
DE
Hello

I am trying to perform the following and have had vb recommended as a solution for which I am relatively new to

Overnight I am extracting a number of files from 3 seperate systems (into a NT/SQL environment)
I want to be able to execute a single command once all 3 of these have completed

My thoughts are to extract a completion file (as a marker) upon completion of all routines from each individual system
i.e. system1.txt may arrive at 1:00 am, system2.txt at 2:00 and system3.txt at 2:30
But, the command cannot be executed until all 3 are there
Once the command has completed (or possibly started may well be preferable) all 3 are then deleted

1. Is vb capable of this
2. What is the best approach given that this will be executed in NT
3. I do not have vb, can vb scripts be created in notepad or word and save as vbp files before execution

Thanks

Damian.

Hello Damian

In answer to your questions:

1 Yes VB is capable of this. However, as far as I know, you can not write and compile VB without the IDE.
2 Schedule the jobs using your NT scheduler of choice. VB is not particularly good at running as a service. VBScript is really much better for this.
3 This is the heart of the matter, what you really need to use is VBScript, not VB. VBScript can be written using no more than notepad or any other text editor. VBScript is a "cut down" version of VB, but it contains all the functionality you require.

It would be of more help to you if you joined the VBScript forum on Tek-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back