Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automating FTP using scripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mezanine

IS-IT--Management
Jul 27, 2001
US
I am a newbie to the scripting world. With that said I was wondering if anyone new of an easy way to automate FTPing files to an IP and then retrieving specified file from any given IP address. Any suggestion welcome. I am also looking for a good publication on UNIX scripting if anyone has any recomendations.

Here is what I use to FTP:

ftp -inv <<!
open <IP Address or system name from host file>
user <username> <password>
<any unix ftp commands....>
quit
!

The &quot;<<!&quot; signals the unix shell for the beginning of the FTP script, and the &quot;!&quot; signals the end. Text enclose within <> brackets must be supplied by the user. Any unix supported commands can be placed within the body of the FTP script. A subsequent carriage return is required after the &quot;!&quot; if more code follows the FTP. Hope this helps!
aithosn8
aithosn8@lycos.com

&quot;Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools.&quot; - Napoleon Bonaparte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back