Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automating Excel Data Import

Status
Not open for further replies.

phbrady

Programmer
Oct 17, 2003
US
Hi,

I have a .net app which exports data from a database to text files. I could modify the app to write the data out directly to Excel but the first column is a 16-character string which ends in a number and for some reason excel has always changed the last digit to a zero. If I import the data into excel manually, it doesn't change the last digit, but I have to specify the field as a text field at the time of import.

Basically, I need to get the data from a SQL database to Excel with proper formatting. My question is:
1. How can I automate the process of kicking off the excel data import using dot net? I would also need to automate the process of formatting all the cells as text.

*** OR ***

2. Is there a way I can keep Excel from assuming the data in the 16-character column is numeric if I write the data to excel directly using dot net?

Thanks in advance!

Te following code will set the NumberFormat for a specified range of cells to Text:

Dim oExcel As Excel.Application
Dim oBook As Excel.Workbook
Dim oSheet As Excel.Worksheet

oExcel = New Excel.Application

oBook = oExcel.Workbooks.Add

oSheet = oBook.Worksheets.Add

oSheet.Range("A1:A2").NumberFormat = "@"

oBook.SaveAs("C:\Temp\Book1.xls")

oSheet = Nothing
oBook = Nothing
oExcel.Quit()
oExcel = Nothing

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day! Ye has a choice: talk like a pira

how to select a field from a grid

Hi all
please help me i have got a grid with 2 colums and 3 row and i would like to get the field value and do the calculations on it.

help will be highly appreciates

Are you referring to an ASP.Net DataGrid control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back