Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automating backups in Win 2000 Server???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprude27

Technical User
Mar 16, 2001
US
Is there a way to automate backups in Win2000 Server? I can only find information on manually backups with the prompts.

I'm not sure what you mean but there is an embedded tool (see Accessories->System Tools->Backup) by which you can schedule backups of your "system state" or a part of you hdd. However this solution lacks compression and I can't say that it definately works over the network (in case you want a backup to be stored on another machine on your LAN)
What I do is use this tool in conjuction with a c program i wrote that uses WinRAR to compress the backuped data. The scheduling however is a bit tricky ...

verbalkint, I regularly backup my system state and registry to the network automatically. Do have to admit that I agree with caddnima. A little more detail would be nice. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"There is only one good: knowledge; and only one evil: ignorance."
Socrates (470- 399 BC); Greek philosopher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back