Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

automatically workstation import nw5.1 - zen3

Status
Not open for further replies.

engel912

IS-IT--Management
Jul 2, 2001
DE
hi all,
i've got a big problem: we are working with zen3, nw 5.1 and w2k with the zfd3 client.
i want the workstations to automatically import on the zen server. is it possible that the
user that is logged on must have specific rights to import the workstation?`
has anybody an idea?

thanks for helping me

danny

There is a problem with the installation of AWSI. You may want to download the SP1 for ZFD3 and take a look at the readme.txt file in it.

There is a ton of stuff to configure to get ZEN 3 working right... from search policies, to container rights, to server policies and database stuff and DNS... but the users don't need any special rights in order for automatic workstation importing to work...True the SP1 is important... but what happens when you load the ZFDSTART? Have you checked to see if the java stuff is running on the server (java -show)? We set the log on verbose mode in order to see what was transpiring on the server in order to diagnose and get it running right. Send more information on your setup and I'll try to help.
b.l.
blocke@jpc.com

hi,

thanks for your replys.

i guess our problems are because of the .dll's that are used at the clients site :(
we are working with zfd3 sp1, pt2 and pt3 on the clients. we guess the wmgrppol.dll cause
the problems but we ar not really sure....
we use zen3 and sp1 at servers site. we have two cluster servers and one server with zen on
it.
in our test environment the ws imported automatically. we switched to the environment with
the cluster and the "communicationserver" and had to change the tree and the DA's and now,
the clients won't import themselves automatically

OK... But when you do a java -show on the ZEN Server, is the service running:
CLT-ZEN1:java -show

Classname ID
============================================================ ============
com.novell.application.zenworks.autowsmanagement.wsimport.Im 201
com.novell.application.zenworks.autowsmanagement.wsremoval.R 225
com.novell.orb.service.naming.NamingServer.................. 202
com.novell.zenworks.desktop.inventory.servercommon.ZENWorksI 253

In particular - is the .wsimport service running - if not you won't get any automatic imports....

You may want to increase the level of logging on the server for a while so you can see what the workstations are doing
In the ZENWSIMP.NCF, in the system directory of the ZEN server, there is an entry like the following:

java -classpath $zenAWSClassPath;$CLASSPATH -jszenWSImp -Dlogfile=sys:zenworks\zenwsimp.log -Dlogfilelevel=3 -Dloglevel=3 com

Make sure the level of logging is set to 3 (verbose) so you can see what is going on when the workstations are attempting to import.

If nothing is happening during the import process then we have other problems... It may be a missing or corrupt import policy.

hi traderbob,

we still did these things. the import works when we start it manually but the
workstation won't import automatically.
we "put in" the policies 3 times (i don't know the right english word, sorry).
we hope that the new patches for zen and for ZfD will help us to solve the problem.

thank you

danny

What does the workstation log and the server log look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back