Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatically updating status

Status
Not open for further replies.

infocusweb

Technical User
Jan 8, 2001
US
I may have been going at this all wrong, but I'm not sure.
I have a data table that stores user info including
staus: yes/no
activation date: date/time
activation end: date/time

These three fields are set when the administrator reviews account info and sets the staus to active through a form.

Is there a way I can have the status field set to no (not active) automatically after the activation_end date has been passed?

Sorry if this wasn't real clear. Thanks for your help.

It depends on the database your using. I'm not a database admin but I believe what you are looking for is called a "trigger". If I remember correctly, a trigger is code that is executed when a particular event happens. You could probably write a trigger to update the status when the activation end field is updated. Unfortunately, I believe you have to have a db server such as MS Sql Server or Oracle to do triggers so you wouldn't be able to do this with something like Access.

Hope this helps,
GJ

Thanks GJ. Unfortunately I am working with MS Access. Perhaps you can save me some time. I'm thinking about alternatives. One, today I was reading about cfschedule. Is it possible to schedule a loop through these records on a daily interval, identifying any newly expired accounts and then performing an update which will set the status to "no", or will I still have to have the administrator perform the execute of this on a daily basis?

Thanks.

You could schedule a cfm template to run at whatever interval you like; then you could execute a database query like:

<cfquery...>
UPDATE mytable
SET Status = 0
WHERE ActivationEndDate >= #Now()#
</cfquery>

-Tek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back