Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatically unmount Filesystems before reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSch

Technical User
Jul 12, 2001
DE
Hi everyone,

I was wondering:

How can it be accomplished, that all non rootvg filesystems are being automatically unmounted before System reboots when issuing the "reboot" command ?

I understand there's the rc.shutdown file but this seems to work with "shutdown" command only and NOT with "reboot" command. :-(

Any suggestions ?

Best Regards,
Thomas Schmitt

Hi,

unmount of all filesystems are part of each reboot/shutdown. If a process keeps an filesystem open, it will be forcefully unmounted.

Regards

Hi NoLogic001,

IBM told us we'd have to take care of that ourself ...

Problem is: On one machine certain filesystems are always corrupted after a reboot and an fsck has to be performed. IBM came up with the hint that those filesystems are not being unmounted cleanly during a reboot and we were supposed to do it manually before rebooting the System.

However: This is something that is easily forgotten over the time. So I was hoping for an automated solution.

Regards,
Thomas

No see, what they mean is that there is a process that keeps the filesystem open and when you reboot it is done forcefully(no cleanly) and ends up corrupting the filesystem.

You need to find the process that is keeping the filesystem open and kill it before a reboot. It's most likely and application or database that is not stopped properly before the actual reboot.

you can do a ps -ef grep <filesystem name> to find the culprit or use the command fuser.

fuser -u /tmp

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back