Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatically return mail if e-mail address doesn't exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beambones

MIS
Feb 15, 2002
GB
Hi, the subject pretty much sais it all. I would like to configure our Exchange 5.5 server to automatically return e-mails to the sender should they have the email address wrong or if the address doesn't exist in our organisation. At the moment, we get shit loads of junk for ex-staff members coming into our Administrator Mailbox that I have to filter everyday. Time wasting if you ask me.

Thanks a mil for your help.

Marco

Well yes but with spam it doesn't normally make much difference, they'll still send it anyway.

You could just create a custom recipient and add all your ex employees's email addresses, and hide it ?

Thanks for your help. But what I meant was, well, you know how when you email @hotmail.com and you get the username incorrect you will get an email back saying something like: "Sorry, but there is no user ****@hotmail.com". Well, that's what I want to set up on our system. I want our Exchange server to throw the email back at the sender immediately. If hotmail can do it and Yahoo and all the rest, then surely I can?

Ah non-delivery reports. In exchange administrator under the IMS properties, under the tab of internet mail click on the button "Notifications".

Here you can select "Send Notifications for these non-delivery reports", followed by "E-mail address could not be found"

hth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back