Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatically Merging 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwatco

MIS
Oct 16, 2002
US
For some reason my backup jobs automatically do a merge after the backup is complete. This add's a few hours to the backup jobs. How can I turn this feature off? It is ArcServe 6.61.

Thanks

Hi,
I think the whole purpose of having this "merge" feature is to have the database updated and make use of, at the time of restore. If you wanna disable this, it makes no sense....

ArcserveFreek "Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success."

ArcserveFreek is right, during the backup ARCserve stores *.cat files ( that holds the file-and-folder information ) in its temp directory. At the end of the job ARCserve empties the temp directory into the database ( this is the 'merge' action you see in the activity log ).
After this merging you can view the file-and-folder info when restoring by tree/restoring by session.

regards

Both the answers are good..

But if you still want to disable database recording ...

Goto the backup options of that job and in the operation Tab
choose Disable database recording and resubmit the job ...

This will help you.

DatabaseBaba

Thanks for the responses. If I disable database recording I can always do a merge from the tape when I need to restore right?

Actually the reason I want to disable it, is because it is not just merging the session it just backed up. It is merging all the session on the database that is on the tape. So basically it is remerging all the session back in to the database. As soon as it's done a prune job somehow gets fired up and gets rid of all the sessions it just merged in. If I can disable it merging then all i have to do is manually merge when i need to do a restore. Does anyone have any input as to why it is merging all the session in the database on the tape to the database on the server.

How is your database prune job set up ( to be checked in the configuration settings of the ARCserve Server Admin ).
Normally it doesn't work the way you describe here.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back