Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatically Give User PowerUser Right in Win2k Prof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonSI

IS-IT--Management
Mar 9, 2004
US
Hi,

We currently have an office w/ approximately 50 users, and all workstations are Win2k Prof.

The problem I am having is that users typically rotate station, based on what they need to accomplish.

The Problem I am having is with user logging into a new win2k pc. What happens, they are authtenticated on the network, but they only get limited rights on that PC.

I want to open up all desktops to give whoever has a network login, PowerUser rights.

How to I blanket these rights over all workstation?

I know its a big "no-no", to give rights like that, but I can careless what happens at the desktop. All desktop have ghost image on the servers, and their profile are remote. So if pc blows up, I can recover in minimal amount of time.

I've heard to use GPO, but There is no simple "Power User" GPO that can be checked (or is there?).

Anyway, any help or insight to my permission issue at the desktop would greatly be appreciated.

Ton

Since you have network logins do you have a Windows server with user accounts? If so make a new group and add everyone to it. Then give that group poweruser rights on the pc's.

1101001100110101 ,

Why did that answer sound so simple!?!?!

After you mentioned that, it makes all the sense in the world!!

Ok.

Lets say I do make a group called "PU_Users" on the domain, and add all "normal" users to this group.

Now.. is there any easy or quick way to grant my domain "PU_Users" group PowerUser access locally? Or do I have to go to each PC?

Thanks again for hte quick reply.

Ton

Here is a very short artile on using cusrmgr.exe to add domain groups to a remote machine. If you setup a batch file that calls cusrmgr with all the computers you need it should run through and make the changes on all machines.

for example

cusrmgr.exe -m \\computera -alg administrators -u P_Users
cusrmgr.exe -m \\computerb -alg administrators -u P_users
cusrmgr.exe -m \\computerc -alg administrators -u P_users

cusrmgr help will tell you what all the commands mean. Hope this helps more then confuses. I change local admin passwords this way.

Ok.. this may sound lame, but I can't find the file.

MS says its in their resource kit, and I went to the cd under support / tools/ and ran 2000rkst.msi

And it was not install on my PC.

Is there anywhere else I can look?

Ton

I created a Group in the domain called, "Desktop_PowerUsers".

When you go to local win2k wks pc, and go Control Panel > Users and Passwords > Add.

The groups are not listed in the domain, just Users.

If I attempt to add the group manually, by typing it in, and givig the appropriate local rights, it does take it.

But when I restart, the group is gone.

Am I adding it to the wrong location, or using teh wrong method?

Ton

Try logging onto the computer as a domain admin then right click on my computer and select manage. Go to users and groups and find the poweruser group then add the domain account there and apply. It should save it.

As for cusrmgr that is strange as it should install when you install the tools on the win2k server resource kit?

I did a whole HD search for it, and can't find it.

Can you tell me where it installed on your PC?

Ton

As for the steps you told me, works perfectly!!

Thanks man.. you are GOOD! :)

Honestly I dont know. I got it a diffrent way which was one of my fellow techs at my job emailed it to me. If you cant find it what you can do is use active directory to manage the pc's and do the same method I just discribed. All you have to do is login to AD users and computers and go to were your computers are located and right pick manage. It will open the same thing as above but remotely. Least that way you can do them all in one spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back