Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatically chaning dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie2012

IS-IT--Management
Feb 27, 2012
CA
Hi,

I would like to know how I (and if possible) can set ms project to automatically change the dates of my tasks. Here's my example

I have two tasks :
Task 1: starts on Feb27 ends on March 2nd;
Task 2: starts on March 5th ends on March;
-Task 1 need to be completed before task 2 starts;
-I have set up a baseline on the entire project;
-Task are also set up to start as early as possible.

Let's pretend task 1 is completed by the end of the day on Feb27. So in the %completed column I enter 100%.
By saying task 1 is completed at 100% I would like to see the dates on task 2 to automatically change so it will start on Feb27 as well. This would probably mean that the end date on task 1 will move from March 2nd to Feb27.

Is this there a way to do this automatically in Ms Project ?

Thanks for your help
Regards
Ed

Hi Ed,

Have you tried putting a finish to start dependency between the tasks? Look for the predecessor column in the task table and put task 1 as a predecessor to task 2.

Make sure that task 2 is set to start 'As soon as possible'. Click the advanced tab in the task information box to check this.

Tamzin

T Morphy

Hi,

Thanks for the info.
I have tried it but it still doens't work. I'm even using both
%Work complete or
%Complete

column to test it out and for some reason it just won't work ???

I'll keep looking at what I'm doing wrong

Thanks for your help
Ed

Hello Ed,

Are you working with manually scheduled tasks in Project 2010? If you work with automatically scheduled tasks and create the Finish to Start relationship between the tasks as suggested by Project Monkey and Task 1 has an Actual Finish date of Feb 27, Task 2 should automatically move.

Simply setting the % complete to 100% or the % Work Complete to 100% will not change the scheduled finish date of Task 1. If you entered a 5 day duration (Feb 27 - March 2), unless you explicitly tell Project you finished it on Feb 27 -- it will assume it took all 5 days.

Display the Tracking table and enter an Actual Finish date of Feb 27 -- does Task 2 move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back