Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatically calculate subtotals in Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

stillinlife101

Programmer
Feb 15, 2005
US
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find the post.

I was the have three columns (Item#, Price, Quantity) inputted and then have the fourth column automatically multiply price by quanity to get a subtotal. Then I'll be able to easily add all the subtotals. Is there any way to write a generic formula for each cell (i.e. =b(x)+c(x)) without be having to type in a different formula for every cell in the subtotal row? Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

you ought to be able to enter ONE formula and copy it down thru all rows.

Tale a look at the SUBTOTAL feature in menu item Data/Subtotals. This will automatically subtotal groups.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]A palindrome gone wrong?[/red]
A man, a plan, a ROOT canal...
PULLEMALL![tongue][/sub]

Either I'm doing something wrong or it won't work. I tried selecting a group, but it can't find the correct row to put the total in even though I select it. Is there a way to refer to the row that a given cell is in? That way I could just copy the formula (b(thisRow)+c(thisRow)) all the way down.

Dan

In cell D2, type in [COLOR=blue white]=B2+C2[/color]

Now hover the cursor over the bottom right corner of the cell until the cursor changes to a thick, black +. Now drag the formula down as far as you need to. The row reference will automatically increment.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it."
[tab]-George Bernard Shaw

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

Perfect. Worked great, my spreadsheet is now doing everything I wanted it to do. Well, except mailing itself to the proper people...

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back