Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatically Accept Winning Conflicts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2002
GB
Does anyone know if it is possible, after a resynch, to automatically accept winning conflicts? My problem is that I have two databases, one local, and one in the US. When I resynch, they have conflict errors on only one field in the record (a counter of how many times the particular record is accessed). To be honest whether the counter is higher or lower doesn't matter. All that matters is that the conflicts are resolved, and trying to do this on 50 conflicts, on the remote server when it takes about 5 to 10 minutes for each resolution to take effect... well, it would be easier to just accept all the conflicts at once!

Anyone know of a script, or checkbox, or radio button I can utilise to do this for me?

Will

Can you change the DB? Add a table with "record ID" and count, then don't include the new table in the resynch, i.e., build a "Partial Replica."

I thought using a "Replication ID" as the field size for the count would work, but it doesn't.

Here's an incredibly bloated solution:

Mark the record #, and the time (=Now()) in a new record, in some separate table. Then when you merge, it grabs all the accesses from the one, all the accesses from the other, and merges them on top of each other with no conflicts. Whenever you need to get an access count, just use Count(*).

If there are a lot of accesses, this will hugely bloat the database. But it stores more data, so if you're thinking of implementing a 'viewed records log', this would be a starting point.

These are all very interesting solutions, and I thank you for your efforts! Sadly it doesn't help. You see the databases are made by a specific program (GFI Spam Filter), and I asked if it was okay to replicate, and they said as long as I didn't change the contents of the databases, then probably okay, but they wouldn't support it.
So my hands are tied in making changes or adding tables. The only thing I can change successfully is adding SQL scripts.
So that's really what I am after, unless there is a switch I haven't found that says "Automatically accept winning conflicts" in the database properties, or something.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back