Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic Updates on Windows 2000 Server greyed out 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ega218

MIS
Aug 21, 2004
US
The Automatic Updates for one of my Win2K Server is set to Automatic and the screen is greyed out. It is a hasle since it will restarte the server once the updates on downloaded. I can just stop the service, but I would like to know the updates to be downloaded and allow me to manually apply them and restart the server. However, the Automatic Updates screen is greyed out.

I have 3 other servers where the Automatic Updates screen is available and can be edited. I have reviewed the registry entries for the other servers and verified that they were the same with the Server that is giving me problems, but nothing.

Does any one have any ideas to get this screen from being greyed out.

Thank in advance. :eek:)

Can you go to Control Panel | Automatic Updates to access and change the settings?

I have but the entire screen is greyed out and not accessible. I had some success in some of my XP Pro Workstations which had a similar problem, by changing some Registry keys. However, I have not been able to find anything for the W2K Servers.

How about your policy settings? If you are using a SUS server the local settings are disabled by the GPO.

I have already checked the local and domain policy settings and there is nothing there that would cause this. This is happening on two of my servers. One is a domain controller and the other is not. However, not on the other servers which are DC and non DC as well. The only thing I beleive that they have in common is that I did attempt to install a SUS server on both a while back. However, SUS was uninstalled from both servers. Perhaps this is a reminisce of the SUS server installation. If so, I don't know what else to do since SUS is no longer installed.

Thanks for the post, I may be narrowing down on the problem.

I did check my policy settings. I don't have an option for the Automatic update.

However, now that you mention the SUS Server. This is happening on two of my servers. The other servers are OK. However, the two servers that have this problem did have SUS installed at one point a while back. I had attempted to setup an SUS server, but uninstalled. There may be some reminice of the SUS server still affecting this problem.

I have not been able to find anything on this. Any comments or suggestions are still welcome.

Disregard my last post. I thought my previous post did not get through.

Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back