Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic Updates: Disable restart reminder

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunShock

Technical User
Aug 21, 2003
US
When running automatic updates, there is an annoying pop-up nag screen reminding me to restart my computer. Choosing "Restart Later" only makes it pop up a few minutes later. How do I disable this nag?

Notes:
1.) I am NOT asking for a way to disable Automatic Updates. I want to continue to use Automatic Updates, but not have it bug me repeatedly to restart.
2.) I know quite well that I should restart soon to let the updates take effect, but often times I am in the middle of something which I need to finish before I can reboot.
3.) Hiding the window (dragging it off the screen, etc.) is not a good solution.

You could look at this from the linked article.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

Value name: NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers
Value data: Reg_DWORD: 0 (false) or 1 (true). If set to 1, Automatic Updates does not automatically restart a computer while users are logged on.
Registry Value Type: Reg_DWORD

How to configure automatic updates by using Group Policy or registry settings

You could also schedule Updates to download but to let you choose when to install them.

306525 - HOW TO: Configure and Use Automatic Updates in Windows XP

327838 - HOW TO: Schedule Automatic Updates in Windows XP, Windows 2000, or Windows Server 2003

Thanks, but this is a bit off the mark. I am not concerned about automatic rebooting, I already have that off. I also already have Automatic Updates set to download and install at my choosing rather than automatically. (Basically, I've already done/looked at everything suggested). My concern is with removing the nag screen that reminds me that my computer needs to be restarted and prompts me with "Restart Now" and Restart Later" as my options. The problem is that default behavior for hitting "Restart Later" is that the pop-up will reappear awhile later. I would like to change this so that the pop-up reminding me to restart my system after an update does not repeatedly bug me.

This reminder is not a balloon tip, it is a very annoying pop-up window. (Wouldn't be a problem if it was a balloon tip, as those don't really interfere)

Because there appears to be some confusion, here's a screencap of the window that I want to prevent from popping up repeatedly:
restartReminder.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back