Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

automatic update

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADoozer

Programmer
Dec 15, 2002
AU
apologies if this has been answered but i couldnt find anything...

over the last month or so microsoft automatic update has downloaded and installed the same security patch on many occasions...

info about the download:
security update, february 13, 2002(MSXML 4.0)
this update resolves the "XMLHTTP Control Can Allow Access To Local Files" security vulnerability in microsoft XML (MSXML) 4.0 and is discussed in microsoft security bulletin MS02-008.

can anyone give me any info on why it keeps downloading or why it isnt installing properly!

any input appreciated!

If somethings hard to do, its not worth doing - Homer Simpson
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A General Guide To Excel in VB FAQ222-3383

When you manually go to microsofts update site where it scans your build, go to installation history. Does this update show up as installed? Also what level of permissions are you logging on with when this update attempts to install?

ok on the history bit...

Successful 15 April 2003 Security Update, February 13, 2002 (MSXML 4.0) Automatic update
Successful 13 April 2003 Security Update, February 13, 2002 (MSXML 4.0) Automatic update
Successful 12 April 2003 Security Update, February 13, 2002 (MSXML 4.0) Automatic update
Successful 10 April 2003 Security Update, February 13, 2002 (MSXML 4.0) Automatic update

this is my home pc... i am the only user, logged in as administrator...

any further info greatly appreciated!!

What version of IE are you running and has all the updates been applied to that?

IE6... how do i determine if the update has been applied...

everytime it installs it spends about half an hour shutting down then restarts...

(i have emailed microsoft support but they havent replied as yet)

Open an instance of IE. Click help and about IE. It should say something like Update versions. There it will say stuff like SP1, Q324929, Q810847, Q813951. Update versions is located under Version, Cipher Strength, and Product ID.

got it....

SP1, Q810847, Q813951

im assuming that means its not installed...

(it also says this is a customised version of IE, could that be the problem, as far as i know it shouldnt be customised)

thanks for the continued input!

Well when you install IE 6 you have two options. Typical and custom. You might have to uninstall IE and reinstall it. I would just use a typical install. After that install all the updates for it. You might have to install the updates listed, reboot, go back to the site and more update options will appear.

ok ive reinstalled IE (i think- i chose the option that wasnt repair) it still says customised version though

ive also looked at the site mentioned by crisc and downloaded/run that too...

ive been on windows update and the above mentioned file isnt included (so touch wood)

time will tell now if windows update trys to download it again!

thanks for your help guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back