Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic Tape Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonMag

Technical User
Mar 20, 2001
GB
HI,

I am a new user to Networker, I am testing the software out at the moment and am having issues with the tape library Auto managing the media.

When I submit a backup job, looking at the monitor screen the system is siting and waiting for a writable volume to become available. I was thinking that the whole idea was you could place a bunch of tapes in a library and Networker would tke care of the Labeling for you, so you would not have to manualy do this each time you have to perform a backup.

I am running Networker version 6.1.1 for Win 2K, and backing up a mixture of NetWare and NT/2K Servers.

I have enabled the Auto Media Management in the hidden options for the tape library.

Any help would be appreciated.

...If anyone knows how to automaticaly eject the tape when the job finishes, this would also help.

Thanks

Simon Magee
Network Engineer
Bottomline Technologies Europe.

Do you have auto media management enabled for the autochanger? Edit the resource for the autochanger and verify that it is on. I believe the default is off.

Also,

verify that the "bunch of tapes" you have placed inside the library are:

1.Write unprotected.
2.Empty/or have all savesets expired from Legato point of view.
3.That the JBX drives are enabled to use all available pools. "Long live king Moshiach !"
h

I have checked all these suggestions, and now am able to have unlabled tapes in the library, but after completing the backup, it will still not eject the tape.

Any suggestions?

Simon.

if you would like to eject tapes periodically, then you could set a scheduled command "nsrjb -HEv" which will reset the element status of the library and in so doing, eject all tapes and place in original slots.

I am not sure you can force Legato to eject tapes after each backup because that is not how Legato thinks. Legato keeps the tapes in the drive so that when the next backup begins, you have every change of starting a backup without waiting for lengthy tape mount, label and verification operations. If it has to eject the tape to mount a different tape, then you really had not lost any time.

Hope this helps to wrap up this issue for you.

Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back