Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic shutdown or logoff from PC after citrix logoff 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmconseil

IS-IT--Management
Jan 9, 2001
FR
We use Metaframe 1.8 on Windows 2000. Our clients are standard PC running on NT Workstation and thin clients running on Windows CE. The PC clients logon on an NT domain before starting their citrix session.

We made the choice to publish the desktop as the only one application authorized. Thus, users have the same environment running on PC or thin clients.

We would like to automatically shutdown our PCs or logoff from the NT session after a deconnection from a citrix session.

Is there a mean to reach that goal ?

TheOtherKiwi or pmconseil please send me a copy of the wrapper application TheOtherKiwi developed.

Gratefully,

Michael
(mkj2300@hotmail.com)

I got the same problem and this app could help me so can I get a copy of this please ?

please send me to mail: jocelyncadieux@hotmail.com

Thanks

Before you start charging for this..... can I have a copy?

Thanks

atc-computing@home.com
Al
atc-computing@home.com

Hi,
I realise everyone is very busy, but could someone who has received a copy please mail it to me?

alan.wilson@south-ayrshire.gov.uk

If I get a copy I'll try and upload it to
Thanks.

OK people, I have mailed the last two or three requesters, if you can upload to thethin.net I would be happy for others to get it from there.
I also appreciate any comments that you have regarding this free-be, if I can help, just let me know...even though I'm stuck in Hong Kong right now!

DOES ANYONE HAVE A COPY OF THIS APP CALLED VDESKTOP!!!
If you do, can you please contact me at rsalazar@pilgrimspride.com

I would like to try it out on some of our fat clients. We want to be able to connect them straight to the "desktop" publish application and have the ability to shutdown the actual fat client when they log out.

THANKS!!!!!

I have emailed it to you as requested.

I did submit it to thethin.net for evaluation, but I have heard nothing more.

Thanks for the quick response everyone!!
I finally got a copy and I am going to try it out today. I will give you an update on how it works and if anyone needs a copy just e-mail me to the e-mail address above.

I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!!

Back from Hong Kong now (yippee!) and looking for some feedback on vDesktop. Does anyone have any suggestions for improvements? I have got a request to add LOGOFF capability to the existing SHUTDOWN version which I will do shortly. Anything else?

Can you please email me the program too, I need the logoff option. my email is zehavit@agri.huji.ac.il.

10'x Zehavit.

Please send me the app once you have automatic logoff.

Thanx
Quinton
Quintonv@gmx.net

Hi everyone,

While it seems like everyone is pretty happy with the TheOtherKiwi's vDesktop app (Good one mate!!), I thought it might be helpful to someone if I let you know how we got on top of this. This is probably purely acedemic, as it seems everyone in the world (except me, pobvioucly) has vDesktop!!!

Anyhow, ike pmconseil, we had NT clients that we needed to act as dumb terminals...

What we ended up doing is, via the registry, setting these machines to automatically log on with a local user account (IE, not a domain / AD account). This may sound weird and insecure, but bear with me. This local account was locked down fairly well, so it could not access any network shares, servers, etc. Also, the machine did not have any software installed - just a minimalistic NT build and the ICA client.

Via another registry hack, we changed the O/S desktop shell from explorer to a little batch file, which launched Program Neighbourhood. This means that when the box automatically logged on, rather than getting the Windows environment, they only got the PN - no start button, etc.

The Program Neighbourhood was pre-configured with the published desktops, and restricted so it could not be changed (instructions for doing this are on the Citrix site).

The batch file also referenced the ShutDown utility from the NT res kit, so that once the user exited the Program Neighbourhood, the computer would turn off.

This turned the NT box into pretty much a dumb terminal. It's also very un-intrusive to the user, as everything opens / closes automatically. We've got 50-odd of these set up this way, and have been running for about 6 months now with no troubles whatsoever.

Anyway, that's my $0.02. It's now looking very long-winded compared to vDesktop!!

Thanks!

I am having the same shut down problem can someone post the URL where the file can be downloaded.

could i get a copy or the url, too ?
klima@gmx.de
seems to be a great tool

thanks in advance

See pfay415's post above - you can just right click the link and choose save as ;-) CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

OK, I have a logout version now that will logout the user rather than shutdown the machine.

I will post this to thethin.net ... if you have an urgent request, post your email address here and I can send direct.

Any feedback, good or bad, appreciated.

I'd love to have a copy of that one mate.

BrendonN@datacom.co.nz

good old kiwi inginuity enjinooity cunning eh.

I use the application and it works great on the Win98 machines I have it installed on. I put it on a couple of Win2000 machines and get an error message that says, "Function failed". This happens after I close my Citrix session while I wait for the app to shut down my PC. Is there any special configuration that needs to be done for a Win2000 platform? The system I've been testing it on is a Win2k sp2 Compaq Deskpro PII with 128mg RAM. I would also like to add that I am very happy that you decided to work on a logoff version.

Thanks,

Pete

Usual delay...overseas again...um, no, I have not had a problem but a service pack may have upset it...will check the WIN32 API and get back to you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back