Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic reply / acknowledgment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuartp

Technical User
Feb 22, 2001
GB
Please can someone tell me how to set up Exchange 2000 server so that messages sent to a specific email address are automatically replied to, in order to let the sender know the message has been received.

I have tried creating a rule in Outlook that says "have server reply with a specific message" but when I try and run it, it says "This action is not available in the current mode" and no message is sent.

How can I achieve this please?

Thanks

Stuart

Do you want it to reply when the server gets it or when the reciever reads it? It sounds like the latter and in that case, you'd just want to setup the properties of the sender's Outlook to always request a read-reciept. If you just want to do it for one message you can set it up from the properties of that message during composition.

No, I want to send an acknowledgment when the server receives the message, regardless of whether it has been read or not.

Is this possible? I assume so, but cannot find a way round the "action not available in current mode" message.

Thanks

Stuart

Stuart,
I had the exact same problem and it turns out that the default setting on an exchange server is to not allow auto-replies outside of the internal network. Once I enabled them, the problem was solved.

To enable Out-of-Office replies to the Internet:
1. Start Exchange System Manager on the exchange server.
2. Double-click Global Settings, and then click Internet Message Formats.
3. In the Details pane, right-click a domain name, and then click Properties. The default SMTP domain is "*".
4. In the Properties box, click the Advanced tab, and then click to select the Out of office responses check box. This enables Out-of-Office responses to the Internet for the selected domain.

I hope this was helpful.
eric

Found at Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server site. This article was previously published under Q262352

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back