Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic record sorting -- it's annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xinyin

Programmer
Jan 16, 2003
HK
How to disable access' automatic sorting feature?
Everytime I insert records in a continuous form, when I reopen the form again, access already sorts them for me which I don't want it to. I just want to keep the order of the records exactly as the order when I insert them. Any suggestions?

I would prefer to know if there is any settings in access which allow me to do this, instead of creating a new field to store the orders.

Hi xinyin

I don't think there is anyway to stop access sorting records to the order of a key, short of explicity specifying the order of the form's datasource or the 'Order By' both of which require a field that holds data that will produce the required order.

As you do not wish to maintain a field with values to force the order I can not think of any solution for you - sorry.

Create a date field in your table with default value of now(). Make this the primary sort for your form.
Simon Rouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back