Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic Reboot scripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark2020

MIS
Mar 22, 2002
US
Is there a way to set windows 2000 server to reboot with a script at a certain time? I would like to set the servers to reboot on off-hours.

Thanks for your help,
Mark

One way to do it is to use the SHUTDOWN program from the Windows 2000 Resource Kit. You can create a batch file with the following command (for instance):
Code:
c:\winnt\shutdown.exe /r /t:45
This will reboot the server (/r) waiting for 45 seconds after the command is issued to actually initiate the reboot. You can then schedule the batch file through Scheduled Tasks.

There are other ways of doing it, including I believe through VB Script, that have been posted on this forum. If you don't have the Resource Kit you might try searching for those posts.

Where can I find the shutdown.exe. When I search the MS Downloads, I get specific parts of the resource kit, but none of them mention shutdown.exe.

Thanks.

weigoldk,

Microsoft only made some of the files available for download; that may not be one of them. To get the rest you have to purchase the resource kit.

Sysinternals, provides a similar free utility called PsShutdown ( It can be used in the same way as the shutdown utility from Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back