Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic "_Backup" file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaltW

MIS
Jun 14, 2000
US
Is there any situation where Access 2002 automatically makes a backup copy of an Access database? We have several databases on our server that are shared by multiple users. From time to time, I notice new files on the server that are created - they have the name of one of our Access databases followed by "_Backup" (e.g. if our database is named "WLW.mdb", then a new file is created named "WLW_Backup.mdb"), and they are obvious backups of our live databases. To my knowledge, no user is making these backup copies, and there's nothing built in to the databases to do any automatic backup copies. Our databases are Access 2000 databases - some of the users that use these databases have Access 2000 and some have Access 2002. I believe the "_Backup" files are being created by the Access 2002 users (but not 100% sure, because I can't determine how and when these files are being created).

Can anyone explain how and why this is happening? The biggest factor driving this is our databases are all of a sudden taking a long time to open. The larger the database, the longer it takes (some take 2-5 minutes). I'm thinking that Access is taking time to make backup copies for some reason.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Walt Wright

Walt,

I should probably wait for someone who's experienced this to reply, but my guess is that you've got something funky going on with your network.

That said, I would do a thorough search of the MS KB to see if you can find anything about this.

Jeremy

==
Jeremy Wallace
AlphaBet City Dataworks
Affordable Development, Professionally Done

Please post in the appropriate forum with a descriptive subject; code and SQL, if referenced; and expected results. See thread181-473997 for more pointers.

I have had this happen to me when I crashed out of a database it looks like someone is not closing the db correctly or your code is throwing a wobbler but exactly why I am unsure in your case.

Hope this helps
Hymn

If you double click on the mdb file, I believe Access 2002 automatically creates a backup copy. If you open through program file, etc ... then I believe you open without creating a backup. (What i wonder however is can you disable this feature ???)

humvie,

I'm not sure what you saw that looked like that, but it's definitely not the case. Double-clicking on an Access database does _not_ cause a backup to be made.

Jeremy

==
Jeremy Wallace
AlphaBet City Dataworks
Access Databases for Non-Profit Organizations

Please post in the appropriate forum with a descriptive subject; code and SQL, if referenced; and expected results. See thread181-473997 for more pointers.

WaltW,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this problem?

I am experiancing the same issue - it is definately the system that is createing the backup - Access or the Server I don't know but the _Backup Database have the users ID in the Network details so I am suspecting it is Access.

Any solution that you may have found would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Mine was caused by an error in a piece of code and/or a duff reference. I altered some code and sorted the refersnces out and it stopped happening on that db

Hope this helps
Hymn

I have the same thing happening to me but my db is quite basic. There are no macros or modules, only 16 tables and several reports and queries. I came to work on this db after it was created. What is the best way for me to check for bad references? Access will create the backup whether I have the db open or not, it has apparently been doing this since its inception.
If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

I had the same thing happened to me. But it happened when I tryed to open the database that was already opened in the file. The file with the blue lock on it. It gave me an error and then created a backup copy and for a while I couldn't rename that particular backup. It was strange. It stopped after a while. But once in a while it does happen without me doing anything.

I would love to know why also???

I get the same thing. It seems to happen when multiple users are in a database and one of them crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back