Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic ptictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbleoo

Technical User
Apr 22, 2003
US
Can i take a picture automatically using a pc cam.

Operating sys xp
pc cam logitec quick cam

You're not too clear about your requirement here. Presumably you want to take pictures periodically, and store them for subsequent display via a Microsoft Access application. If so, then this forum may be appropriate.

Check out the camera documentation re automatically taking the pictures, and how they are saved onto disk. Its my guess that they will be saved to a single folder, with a filename based on a function of the date and the time.

When you confirm that the above is what happens, and is in line with your requirements, then we'll take it to the next step ... ie. retrieving the images between two times, via an Access form.

Cheers,

Steve Lewy
Solutions Developer
steve@lewycomputing.com.au
(dont cut corners or you'll go round in circles)

Hey Steve; first, thanks for the reply. This is my first time using a message board.

Actually am tiring to enhance the inventory control program that I generated to allow a user to add a part and all of its details including a picture. I have a med size storeroom made up of a lot of small electrical components that all look the same. I thought that by adding pictures to the inventory control, I would help reduce part detection errors.

The process would be as follows

A new par would arrive in. The user would scan the barcode. I analyze the tables to see if I have that part, if not I pull up a form to add a new part. The part number is captured from the scanner (Symbol keyboard emulator) and the details are then data entered. At this point I would like to have the user click a button to add a picture into the database.
(Linked to that part) this might cause the database to get very large but I can keep the pics small.

Simple Eh!

I have no problem importing a picture in from a directory, and clearing the director for the next use. It’s actually activating the camera from Access that I can't quite grasp.

It might be very easy but just need a jolt in the right direction.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Jason Bleoo

If you are going to use MS Access to do this, you need to find out more about the software of the camera.

To control the camera/scanner, you need to find an OCX or DLL that exposes its software model for you to program against. Otherwise, its probably a no go for controlling the camera. Follow Steve's advice about looking in the documentation for the programming support of this device.

Best of luck,
Gary
gwinn7
A+,N+,I+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back