Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic powerdown once i click start/shutdown 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Etogo

Technical User
May 29, 2002
CA
hi everybody.

i have a user here that would like his pc to automatically power down once he clicks start/shutdown. the OS is Win2k prof. the machine is a dell GX1. i've already been in the bios and checked out the power management in the control panel but neither of does worked. does anybody have any ideas?
any advice would be helpfull.
Thanks.

I don't think you'd want that anyway - it's a failsafe. I've accidentally (more from desire to move the mouse really darn fast) hit the start and shutrdown on a system more than a few times. If it would actually shutdown, I would have killed the system. I think it's put in there for a reason - but there are utilities I hear that are shutdown commands. I'm not familiar with them, but surf around the underground boards and see what you find.

i understand what you mean. your right, the menu that appears once you click start/shutdown is there for a reason. i should have been more specific in my question. what i want is for when i've clicked start/shutdown and then choosen the option shutdown from the popup menu that appears, i dont want to have to click the power button to close the pc. i just want it to power down automatically without having to wait for the "it is now safe to turn off your pc" screen and then press the power button.
thanks anyways DaveyBoy2.

That functionality is a joining of a APM or ACPI BIOS, a ATX power supply and the APM / APCI support of Windows.

If the push button on the front of the computer immediately turns off the computer after pressing it in - under all circumstances - then it is most likely a AT power supply and cannot turn the machine off automatically. The difference is the fact that on the AT supply the power switch is electrical - it switches the AC circuit on and off directly. On the ATX supply the switch is electronic - pushing the button activates a logic circuit which asks the supply to shut down if other conditions are met. The ATX supply is a 'smart' unit.

APM / ACPI control must also be active and / or installed in both the BIOS and Windows.

Take a look in the System Devices area - if it does not show APM or ACPI BIOS support then the computer definitely doesn't have it and will not do what you are asking.

Your mileage may vary...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back