Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic On-Call Indicators: No Headsets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chippowell9

Technical User
Aug 18, 2005
US
I’m trying to set up automatic on-call indicators for phones without headsets. These are little lights that one might put up at the top of one’s cubicle to let others know that one is engaged on a telephone call (So they don’t have to hit the mute button and shout “Hey, quit yelling across the room at me, I’m on the line with a customer!”) I know there are manual on-call indicators that are independent of the phones whereby the user flicks a switch that turns a “BUSY” light on and off, but that’s not what I’m after. I have a few Plantronics automatic on-call indicators (model 65116-01) which are made to work with Plantronics wireless headsets, but these don’t want to work without the headset amp and all that junk.

I’m not sure what I’m looking for exists. I’m really looking for a commercial product that is either off-the-shelf or can be assembled with off-the-shelf parts. Anyone here have any ideas?

Thanks!

Is this for a digital phone system?

My guess is you may be hard pressed to find anything that would work. The Busy Indicators need something to physically activate them (which you already know). You would have to find some sort of in-line product that could detect when a set was in use and turn the indicator off and on (very hard to do, especially knowing when to actually turn on and off).

I imagine in a VoIP world, this can de done faily easily, but TDM makes this much more complex.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Scott M.

You are correct, it's a Nortel Meridian with digital phones. Thus my dilemma.

Good luck with that, and if you ever find anything, I would be interested. I do not know of anything that would do this, and I have an 81C with a 60 seat call center, plus 80+ 11C's in the network.

I try to keep up to date on things and this is not something I have heard of (YET).

Scott M.

Siemens has a beehive that shows ACD_QU. On their old 9751

You could run a software DSS/BLF on a computer and display it on the wall with a flat screen.
Or get everyone to run a software DSS/BLF on their computer.

it's doable very simple as a build it yourself.. wall wart, lamp and magnetic reed switch, the side of the switch that has the wire would mount above the handset on the phone.. the switch side would superglue to the the handset.. i've seen them used in security about the size of a shirt button.. when part a move away from part b, the ckt closes and the lamp lights.. for a pre-built app try posting this over in the nortel forum, maybe someone there has an off the shelf unit

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Dee's Communications might have something. They had alot of gadgets to work with Nortel stuff.

Snowmonkey, this looks like a terrific product. I take it you also need the Algo 4100 "Aux Box" to connect with the phone? So the flasher has its own power supply, and then connects to the Aux Box, but what's the connection between the Aux Box and the phone? Or if this is not how you're using it, can you explain?

Thanks a lot!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back