Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic Numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurcBoyar

Programmer
Feb 18, 2002
TR
When I delete a record from my database, it also deletes its automatic number. For example when I delete 1st record, the database starts with record two and its automatic number is still 2. I want to renumare the numbers to make its record number 1. Can someone help? Thanx for your answers...

Can't do it w/o deleting the field and starting all over. Once 1 is used, that's it. That record and only that record will have 1 as its autonumber.

Many databases rely on that behavior to uniquely identify a record. It ensures that there's no ambiguity among autonumbered rows. If it's 1, then you can count on no other record ever having that identifier in that table.
penny1.gif
penny1.gif

Hmm. Thanx for your answer. Can you read my next tread too? Maybe you can halp. Thanx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back