Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic network login? - How do I do it? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaux

Technical User
Sep 16, 2001
US
I've seen some computers log on to the network automatically when they boot up. (They fill in the password automatically and push OK.) How can I make mine do that? I don't need it to put in a password, I just need it to push OK.)

TweakUi is one way of doing it. It has the option of logging onto the network automatically. You can get it from your OLD Windows 98 CD located at \tools\reskit\powertoy. The Windows 98 SE CD no longer has it. You can download it here. Just copy that address into your Address bar. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Hmm.. I'm scared of TweakUI. Once it messed up my user account. I had to delete it and make a new one.

I took a look at TweakUI (haven't tried it yet) and it looks like that feature is for the user logon to the domain, but I need something to logon to the network workgroup.

Is there anything else?

If you just don't want to see the login prompt and you're logging onto a workgroup, do the following:

- In control panel, double-click Network
- Double-click Client for MS Networks
- Verify that "quick logon" is selected
- Ok out of all windows and reboot

* You may only have to hit OK once more

The same feature works fine for Workgroups as well. as long as you do not mess with the other aspects of TweakUi and just use the Logon option you should be fine. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Hmm... you only can do this if you the onlu user for that PC.

It would be my assumption that if the user doesn't want a network prompt at bootup, then he is either the only user or doesn't have the need for other users to login separately...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back