Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic laptop login to Network (main PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

raefe77

Technical User
Aug 10, 2006
CH
On my laptop I have a normal windows login. After that I have to logon to the network (server).

As I dont want to have to do the 2nd step each day, how can I automatically configure the logon to "accessible folders" upon Windows logon?

The laptop uses WinXP home, the main PC is Win2000. Two other PCs already log on automatically, they are running on Win98 and Win2000. Why is XP home different about this?

I suppose something could be done clicking on "My Computer" and administrate, but I dont know where.

You may need to modify the registry. This how to may help,

auto-logon - How toHow to enable AutoLogon for all Windows OS - win9x, 2000 and XP ... A: To enable auto logon in Windows 2000/XP with a domain system, you need to edit the ...

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

The difference is that Windows 98 and Windows 2000 allow you to join and logon to a domain. This way you only have to enter your password once. Windows XP Home does not.
The quickest workaround for this from a Windows XP Home machine is to create the EXACT SAME username and password on your XP machine that you use on the domain. Once you've accessed the network resources once, you shouldn't have to enter username and password again.

Thanks to both of you. I changed the account name to the same as the Win2000 computer, but the login window still appears.

Then I took out the password (same as on main computer) and now it logs on automatically. Though the original name still shows up on windows logon, the account name is now different and no password is given. But the logon onto the server is now done, so thats the main thing.

If I want a password on the laptop in future, then I think I'll have to change the registry as msworld pointed out? (otherwise I think it will always ask for the logon if I dont change it in the registry) I dont know whether that will actually correct the problem though, I will have to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back