Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic insertion of header and footer in document

Status
Not open for further replies.

coposg

Programmer
May 28, 2003
AU
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could assist, I wanted to know if we can automatically display the header and footer in all documents, new and existing, without having to toggle the settings through View -> Header and Footer?
My thoughts were that editing the normal.dot could solve the problems for all future documents, but am a bit unsure as to how we would get the header/footer to be displayed automatically when opening an exisiting docxument (maybe we would need some VBA coding?).
Look forward to any suggestions anybody may have.

Thanks
Steven Paice

Well Tony, working in a government agency and being bound by red tape, I will have to cross that bridge when I come to it, no doubt it will prove to be alot harder in this environment than it is to do technically!

Steve

Hi coposg,

If you have no admin control over the templates, you've likewise got no control over a macro to modify them ...

Maybe you can get around all this with a simple set of instructions to the users. Will they follow your instructions? If so, tell them to:
Code:
1.	Start Word
2.	Select ‘Tools’ from the menu
3.	Click ‘Options’|’File Locations’
4.	Note the location (if any) of the folders for-
	(a)	User Templates; and
	(b)	Workgroup Templates
5.	Click ‘Cancel’
6.	Close all open documents
7.	Select ‘File|Open’ from the menu
8.	In the ‘Files of Type’ drop-down box, select ‘Document Templates (*.dot)’
9.	Navigate to the folder containing the ‘User Templates’
10.	Double-Click on the first-listed template to open it
11.	Select ‘View|Header and Footer’ from the menu
12.	Scroll down to the footer
13.	If you don’t see a field with the template’s name and file path in the footer -
	(a) Press Ctrl-F9 to create a pair of field braces, which will look like ‘{  }’ DO NOT TYPE THE BRACES!
	(b) Between the field braces, type ‘FILENAME \p’, so that the field looks like ‘{FILENAME \p }’
	(c) Save the template
14.	Close the template
15.	Repeat steps 10 to 14 for all remaining templates in the folder.
16.	Navigate to the folder containing the ‘Workgroup Templates’
17.	Repeat steps 10 to 15 for all remaining templates in the folder.
18.	Exit Word
Now all new documents they create, which should be based on the revised templates, will automatically show the new file’s name and path in the footer.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back