Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic dsrepair

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsamples

MIS
Apr 30, 2002
US
In Netware 6 (or any other for that matter) Has anyone here ever set up a daily schedule to automatically kick off a dsrepair?

Any thoughts on it? good idea? bad idea?

I tried it for about a week without a problem. I actually scheduled it to kick off a "dsrepair -n1 -u" at 8pm each night when nobody is working and no other processes are scheduled. I stopped it only because I have not heard of anyone else doing this and would like to hear other points of view on this before I decided whether to continue.

Any feedback?

I run DSREPAIR on some part of my network daily, and we actually recommend that all our managers run it once a week, so it's not a bad idea.

However, that said, I do not like the unattended option. I do not think it does all that needs doing. I've been told much the same from Novell. I much prefer the advanced options where I can select what I want to do, which is not the defaults. I like to repair the database and validate the stream syntax, check local references and rebuild the schema. I also like to know what errors I'm running into, so if there are a lot, I can immediately re-run it until I get a clean repair. You will effectively disable logins while you do this, so wait until lunch time or after hours to do it.

You should also check synchronization and external references periodically.

In short, you should do DSREPAIR often to keep your directory in good shape, the frequency depends on the number of servers in the tree. I would not be comfortable with your automatic solution, but I give you an "A" for creativity. It's probably not doing any harm, but I'm not sure how much good it's actually doing you.

Thanks for the reply :)

The reason I am doing a "dsrepair -n1" is because we seem to be having a problem here that 'might' have something to do with connections or licensing. I'm not sure what is going on but it seems as though each log-in is chewing up multiple licenses and not releasing them. There comes a point when 'some' workstations can no longer log in, no matter WHO tries to log in, even though these same users can log into the tree from another workstation. There came a point one day last week when nearly 20 workstations were not allowed to log in unless we removed client 32 then reinstalled it, even though the ones we didn't get to were able to log in the next day just fine.

Perhaps something strange is happening with our licensing. We have the unlimited license installed but it only shows 1 unit being used, instead of showing the actual -units in use- as it should.

I think I will start another thread posing the license question.

Thanks again for your reply. I am going to continue using the scheduled dsrepair for a while to see how it goes. Maybe I'll set it up for 2 in a row, just in case there are errors to fix. Perhaps doing this on all my servers daily will free up some time for me to hunt down remedies to other problems
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back