Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

automatic download

Status
Not open for further replies.

mg911

Technical User
Jul 18, 2001
US
How would one go about programming in CGI a script that would be similar to the downlaod page such as download.com

for example when you are going to download a file it will say "now contacting download site, if you do not see anything click here" and it links you automatically to the file that needs to be downloaded, and displays the screen to download the file, you the user click save and voila (spel) you can download the file

Thanks I hope this makes sense

Thanks for your help in advance

You can do this pretty easily. Assuming for the moment that the cgi program knows the proper URL for the file that is requested, have the program display a page according to your specs and include a meta tag:

<meta HTTP-EQUIV=&quot;refresh&quot; CONTENT=&quot;3;URL=$url&quot;>
-- Scott David Gray
reply-to: sgray@sudval.org

will this work if I have two file in succession -

for example

<meta HTTP-EQUIV=&quot;refresh&quot; CONTENT=&quot;3;URL=$<meta HTTP-EQUIV=&quot;refresh&quot; CONTENT=&quot;3;URL=$
so basically (or hopefully i should say) this will download both files on the same page

and will this prompt the user or will it do it automatically... (sory I just want some clarification)

also will this work in both IE and Netscape - I have some other code but it only works in IE - is that normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back