Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic disconnect of idle workstations and.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

animosis

MIS
Nov 17, 2003
US
....a list of users logged in, preferably updated in real-time.

Hi all, this is my first post here, so I'm hoping somebody can help me with these two questions. I have been beating my head against the wall unsucessfully for several weeks now.

I need to know if there is a program/utility out there that will allow me to automatically disconnect idle users. For example, I have 20 people here in my department, and they all leave at different times at the end of the day and they all forgot to log off. Once their idle connection time hits two hours, I need their account to be logged off of the server automatically, without my involvement. Is this possible?

The second question is probably far easier. I just need a prog/util that will display a list of all logged in users and could possibly update itself in real-time.

Thanks!

-Scott

on 5.1 and above - this will show users logged in etc
refreshes by default ever 10 secs i think

logoff bit - you'll need to play with watchdog settings

Terry,

I have investigated the Watchdog angle for several days. I thought that that was what I was looking for, but according to my supervisor, the VP over the area, it's not what we need. Are there any other ways to remotely disconnect users without using Watchdog?

Terry,

There was one other thing I forgot to mention in regards to the user list util. I need something that will generate logs of who logs in and when they log out. That way, I can go through them the next day and find out who logged in but didn't log out.

The link you suggested works, but doesn't provide any logging functions.

Thanks!

Scott

nlist will give you details of last login etc - cant remember switches but gives you it - you could even schedule it on a pc to do it every so often or whatever - crude but efficient

to my knowledge watchdogs is your route - it's not something i've ever enforced so not to sure if any other way but i dont think so

Hi, I'm new at this also, did you ever found out if watchdog was the best thing to log off users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back