Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic date change 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

smalty

Technical User
Jan 9, 2005
GB
I currently have four date fields: AgreementDate, RevCompDt, RevDueDt and RevByDt. The AgreementDate and RevCompDt are manual entry fields and RevDueDt and RevByDt are calculated.

The formula for each is:RevDueDt = IIf(IsNull([RevCompDt]),[AgreementDate]+335,[RevCompDt]+335)
RevByDt = [RevDueDt]+60

So for example if the AgreementDate is 01/06/2015 and there is no RevCompDt the RevDueDt will be 01/06/2015 + 335 days and the RevByDt will be 01/06/2015 + 395 days or (RevDueDt + 60 days). The following year the RevCompDt will be entered and the formulas will use that date to calculate the next RevDueDt and RevByDt.

I want to change this so that the RevDueDt and RevByDt are always, in this example, the 01/06 - and + 30 days the next year ie: when 01/06/2016 + 30 days has gone the ReveDueDt and RevByDt automatically changes to 01/06/2016 - 30 days and 01/06/2016 + 30 days.

Hope the explanation and example is clear enough. Any help much appreciated.

Regards
Smalty

>The AgreementDate and RevCompDt are manual entry fields and RevDueDt and RevByDt are calculated.

Don't keep the calculated data in the table.
Create a query to calculate the RevDueDt and RevByDt fields.

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Thanks for the reply.
I understand what you say about the query but I still have the same problem. How do I get them to calculate the same DAY/MONTH every subsequent year???

Could you provide some sample data of the dates you do have (black) and the calculated dates (blue) that you would like to have?

[pre]
AgreementDate RevCompDt [blue]RevDueDt RevByDt[/blue]
1/1/2015 2/2/2015[blue] ??? ???[/blue]
10/10/2015 12/12/2015[blue] ??? ???[/blue]
5/5/2015 [blue] ??? ???[/blue]
9/9/2015[blue] ??? ???[/blue]

[/pre]

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

OK.....I think I may be misleading you. Let me say it another way.

Lets say I enter an Agreement Date of 01/06/2015 I want a text box (lets call it RevDt)to show 01/06/2016 and then next year on the 1st June the text box value to change to 01/06/2017 etc etc

Maybe a function like this
Code:
Public Function NextReview(OriginalDate As Date) As Date
  'Cheat here to simplify code for leap day.  Just always do the review on the 28th
  If Month(OriginalDate) = 2 And Day(OriginalDate) = 29 Then
     OriginalDate = OriginalDate - 1
  End If

If DateSerial(Year(Now), Month(OriginalDate), Day(OriginalDate)) <= Date Then
     'review during this year
      NextReview = DateSerial(Year(Now) + 1, Month(OriginalDate), Day(OriginalDate))
  Else
      'review next year
      NextReview = DateSerial(Year(Now), Month(OriginalDate), Day(OriginalDate))
  End If

End Function

So if the month and day have not occurred you will review this year, if they have passed you will review next year.

Hi MajP

Thanks for your reply and suggestion

Not being very familiar with public functions, I can follow the code OK and understand the logic so I am quite sure it will work but I don't understand how to pass the 'OriginalDate' to the function??

Would appreciate your further assistance please

Regards
Smalty

MajP,
Don't worry......figured it out and works good.

Thanks again
Smalty

If it “works good”, show appreciation by awarding MayP a star for helpful post.
Click on “Great Post? Star it" link.

Have fun.

---- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back