Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic Backup? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechMC

MIS
Dec 9, 2003
US
Hello all,

Is there a way to set the backup to run everyday without having to actually create the job.

I want to set it up where I just have someone pop the tape in and it erases the tape and runs the backup at a given time.

Possible?

Thanks

MC

You create the job once, then set it to run on a schedule.

------------------------------------------------------
Matt
Life is all shadows and dust.
Live it up with women and wine while you can

Techmc,

you have to invest some time here. Backup applications like ARCserve are designed to do what you want to achieve. However you have to hold the possibilities against your environment (backup to disk/tape media, servers and applications involved, network, restore requirements etc..), this is different for almost every site.
Start reading the manuals and try things out or get yourself a training course.

regards

Then perhaps everyone on "public knowledge system" forums should get training before posting?

People seek help on FREE and PUBLIC forums because they are stuck, not lazy.

My second to last attempt is to post on forums, the last being to contact the vendor (usually requires $$$, just as training courses do).

Think before you post...

Your friends,

MC

Sorry MC, i was in a bit of a mood when i posted :-D

The reason Cyklops posted what he did is because this is exactly the sort of thing Arcserve was created to do, and this is covered in the manual quite clearly.

Have a quick glance through the manual, and then if you have any further questions, or need help on a particular issue, then let us know.

------------------------------------------------------
Matt
Life is all shadows and dust.
Live it up with women and wine while you can

TechMC,

like Scotsdude mentions, my reply wasn't meant to raise a conflict, but basically you ask on how to configure a backup environment without us knowing what you have (standalone tape drive or tape library, backup to disk, retention requirements for holding your backup data etc). As backup and restore isn't as easy to configure as oftenly thought an advise on how to setup your environment might be more complex than grab a tape and run the backup job.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back