Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automated server monitoring - pls help !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox1977

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2001
GB
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can help me out. I've just started a new job as a network administrator and my role involves
monitoring 4 windows 2000 servers and 5 remote windows 2000 servers running a mixture of IIS and SQL.

One of my daily duties is to monitor the event logs and performance of each of these servers.

I am after any tips anyone can give me to find some kind of automated monitoring software/setup that would email
me if there are any errors or warnings. I would obviously keen to get hold of any open source products as my boss isn't willing
to pay for any software.

Any tips or recommendations gratefully received.

JOhn

There arent many free in this category but these might help:

Free - Monitor multiple computers event logs (but no email alerting)

Server Monitor Free Edition - Dont know about this one(never tried it) but you can get it free by displaying a link on your site.

Click on "Click here for details!"

Features listed

I don't know sir...I guess its broke.

doesnt have anything to do with event logs but we use to monitor our servers.. we have it setup to watch some webpages and some ports.. and ping on a few servers.. if one doesnt respond in a specified amt of time it gives us a txt msg on our cells.

but this only protects against big downs....

IPSentry can also be configured to send email alerts based upon specific events that are written to the event logs. Good product - easy to configure.

The Windows 2000 Resource Kit, with a few home-grown batch files, will do everything you need from telling you available drive space, service status, and monitoring event logs. I use srvinfo.exe and dumpel.exe on a daily basis for reporting on my servers.

Elm from TNT software is a very cool program. It can grab all the event logs and email. Also, the GFI Server Monitor tool is good..I've used for over 2 years with great success.

We are using GFI Network Server Monitor to monitor 25 servers and it works great.

Nagios is an open source tool that can do the same thing but takes more time to implement.

ServersAlive is another Windows tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back