Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automated Responses

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCS1

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2005
US
Hi all!

Heres the scenario:

We just acquired a new domain that we have been trying to get for a while now and we want to send and receive email using the new domain. We will still be using the old domain only to receive email from clients who are unaware of the change.

My question is, is it possible to set a server level automated response so that each client that sends an email to a user gets a message back informing them of that specific users email address change?

I've thought about setting a rule on the client, but the rules don't give you the option to specify an email address, only an account. I know about the out of office possiblility, but that's not really the route I want to go.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Just to clarify a bit:

I don't want the response to be sent out if the email is sent to a users new email address, only when the email is sent to the old email address.

GFi Mail Essentials can probably do this - though I've not tried.

It doesn't look like a transport rule can do this. But something to keep in mind is that you're going to need to populate any rule with a complete list of user addresses you want to fire on. You can't basically say "anything to domain1.com gets a message about domain2.com", or you'll fire on spam messages. And that's not good.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Contributing author The Complete Reference: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back