Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automated DSL Configurations

Status
Not open for further replies.

secureinc

Technical User
Feb 18, 2002
US
Is there some product out there which is like ConfigMaker that will assist in the planning of a config for a DSL line? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Secureinc

If it is for DSL or cable modem at home, Linksys, Netgear and Dlink have good routers with minimum configuration. They target the general consumers with no experience with routers. It should work right out from the box.

Hope this help!

I am very familiar with the Netgear and Linksys DSL routers, but I have a client that wants a Cisco DSL router. Any idea if Cisco makes software to automate this process?

If you charge your client by the lines of configuration, you won't make much money to configure a Cisco router to do what a Netgear can do. Of course with the Cisco router, one can do a lot more than the Netgear can but it would require a lot more knowledge to do it. Check the following link and you will find a cable modem sample configuration on a Cisco router. It is same as DSL modem. I have not done the configuration of a router with configmaker before.

Another option is to buy the Cisco 675 or 678 router. You need to check with the telco which one is suitable for the line. The 67x series requrie very little configuration.

Hope this help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back