Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

automated backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masterpjz9

Technical User
Nov 12, 2001
US
I have a Windows 2000 server with a folder about 300 MB in size that I have to backup. I am backing this up to a 250 MB Zip Disk. I know I can use a compression program to do this with batch file commands. Can you name a program and tell me the options to use for it?

You could use NT Backup. If you create a schdulued task. Then you wont need to use a batch file. The Ntbackup should be under start->programs->accesories->system tools->.

If it's not there, then you will need to install it from the windows 2k CD.

It's not the best program out there, but it will do the job quickly and efficently.
Have fun!

The only problem with NTbackup is that it is too complicated for the people that are going to be performing the backup. I just it to be in a batch file.

I thought Ntbackup was fairly straight forward. It's even easier to use when you use the wizard. Oh well! Guess I was just born a genius!! :) [pc3][2thumbsup]

Get an W2K book and make copies of the section about Ntbackup. Hand the copies out to the people who will be using it.(I think "Windows 2000 Admin for Dummies" has a nice section on NtBackup that a penguin could use)

I want to make a batch file that you open and it backs up automatically. I can not set it to go at certain time because the zip disk has to be manually replaced.

if you do the schedulued task as i mentioned before, you can open the schedulued task properties for the backup and copy the command line into a new text document and then save it as a *.bat file. After that delete the schedulued task and Then whenever you want to backup the files, run the *.bat file, which will open Ntbackup and save your files onto your zip drive.

:)

Hope that helps!

It just saves mucking about with winzip or winrar command line parameters and then doing a copy of the *.zip to your zip drive and then deleting the zip file. But it's up to you!

You can use the new beta command line interface from winzip. you can download it here

Code:
"c:\progra~1\winzip\wzzip" -ex -o -P -r -whs F:\backup.zip C:\nameoffoldertobackup\*.*
The above command should copy all the files on to your F: drive to a zip file called backup.zip

You need to use dos 8.3 filenames to get the command to work. You will also need to change the destination drive (in my example F:). You will also need to change the name of the folder to backup. It's fairly self explanitory. So once you've edited the command above to point to the correct drive(s) / folder(s). Just put it in a text file and save it as a batch file.

Hope that solves your problem.

Let me know how you get on!

[PC] :) [thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back