Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automate user input = 'yes' or 'y' 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

h011ywood

Programmer
Dec 1, 2003
US
I am working on a system recovery utility, and using the 'fsck' command. Although this command has the option -a to attempt to fix ALL errors, there are still certain errors that it requests user input to fix. (Found this through rigorous testing using fsck)

Anybody know of a good way to feed 'yes | y' to the fsck command on the fly? I've also tried to pipe in the linux 'yes' command to fsck, but fsck doesn't like that.

Thanks for any feedback.

Hwood

Any links for documentation for this module? I have it installed already, just no clue how to use it! From brief descriptions, it looks like this should work for me. Thanks.

Thanks raider. I found some documentation, and have my fsck command running and fixing without prompting the user.

Just an FYI:

fsck calls e2fsck, and you can specify the -y option to answer yes to everything. A workaround.

`e2fsck -y /dev/hda2`

Its much faster than using expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back