Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automate use of Documenter

Status
Not open for further replies.

w860098

Technical User
Mar 21, 2002
GB
Being a firm believer in the use of metadata, I try to ensure that all table columns in my Access databases are provided with suitable descriptions.
I have now written suitable queries to extract relevant detail from the 'Object Definition' table (created when I 'save the table' after I have used the Documenter). This then enables me to generate a Report showing all tables, the columns and their descriptions.
My problem is I now wish to try to create code (module and/or macro), so that I can automate this whole process.
In particular, I need to be able to handle the following steps :-
a) Call the Documenter
b) Select all Tables
c) save the output to the 'Object Definitions' table.
Execution of the queries and generation of the table can then be included after those initial steps.
P.S. If anyone would like copies of the queries, etc. I have created, these can be supplied (I have also built additional facilities to enable other components (e.g. forms, tables, modules, queries, etc.) to also be documented within the database itself).

Thanks for that tip - I have got the basics to work but, like yourself, cannot see how to supply any additional parameters.
Does anyone else now how I might be able to automate this process ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back