Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automate reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLad

Technical User
Aug 3, 2001
GB
Guys

For the life of me, I cannot remember how to do this. I want to reboot a server at 10pm at night. That's easy enough to do, except when I call RESET SERVER it asks about the open files and requires an answer to take the server down.

Can anyone remember how to automatically answer the down server question? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Hi!
It's very easy.
You have to downlaod from the file cron.nlm
copy it to sys:system and create in sys:etc two files without extensions : crontab and cronlog.
in files crontab you have to write this line:
00 10 * * * restart system

and that it's all, you have to run cron.nlm
manualy by write on console load cron.nlm and don't remember add it to autoexec.ncf.
When you start cron.nlm in sys:etc/cronlog you can see
something like that: cron startted at: Date.

Have good day!
Macfoxx

macfoxx - does this command eliminate the need for interaction (ie. answer Y to down server because of open files?) -----------------------------------------------------

How about scheduling a restart server in the Server Web Access? I haven't tried it, but it was a thought.
[bigglasses]

If you mean Portal Services, then that was what I originally did. Unfortunately I checked the server the next morning and it declared the open files and asked whether I wanted to down the server or not. -----------------------------------------------------

Hummm...

Does RESET SERVER at the server console also generate the open file question?
I'm not aware of any switches you can use to force the restart, but I'm not the formost authority. Must be something out there.

[bigglasses]

Maxfox,

This is what you wrote:

copy it to sys:system and create in sys:etc two files without extensions : crontab and cronlog.

Question:

You saying create to files crontab and cronlog in sys:etc...I'm not sure how to run this file. Thanks

I used to use the following solution on NetWare 4.x - not sure, but I imagine it would still work with 5.x:

Following the advice from other users to use CRON.NLM, schedule the file RESTART.NCF to run at the desired time. Then, you just need to create the file RESTART.NCF on your server, in C:\SERVER (or whatever your local server directory is).

---RESTART.NCF---
SEND "NetWare server is going down immediately."
CLEAR STATION ALL
REMOVE DOS
DOWN
EXIT
---END OF FILE---

I found that this method was a reliable way to kill all processes and reboot the server. By running the REMOVE DOS command you force the file server to reboot when the DOWN and EXIT commands are issued.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back