Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automate rdisk through login script, is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifegard2

IS-IT--Management
Mar 28, 2002
US
Anyone know how to automate the rdisk process through a login script? Here's the sitch:

I would like to silently run rdisk on all workstations when the user logs in. I don't care if it runs every time or just once a day. I need rdisk to save the data to a folder on the local machine, one folder for each day of the week.

I know how to automate the day of week and I think I can setup to do it only once a day, but I am concerned about permissions. Most of my users are in their local Power Users group; few, if any, are in the local admins group. With this perms schema will they have the ability to run rdisk from the login script or is something I am going to need to do manually?

Any ideas?

I think it's something you'll have to do manually. Rdisk (I would presume) would only run as an administrator, due to the security permissions required to access some of the registry keys it backs up.

Also, it doesn't appear to run "silently" or from the command line - its a GUI tool.

Finally, it will only save to a floppy disk, as its there to create an ERD. [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

Hi,

You can use :
rdisk /s-

This command run a rdisk in quiet mode.

You can use this in a scheduled command, but choose a good period like 2:00 AM every week, on monday for example :
at \\mycomputer 2:00 /EVERY:M "rdisk /s-"

VinZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back