Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automate Picture Insertion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac7attack

Technical User
Jan 31, 2004
US
Using a PPT macro/form, is there a way for a user to browse for a folder and the macro use the folder to insert an unknown number of pictures from that folder?
The pictures would have a format like Img001.jpg
But the "Img" and ".jpg" being defined by the user in the form

Thanks
Matt

Hi Matt... I wrote this awhile to back to do something similar. The directory holding the pictures is hard-coded in this example ("C:\temp\"), but it shouldn't be too hard to use a variable populated from a form. Each picture is loaded on a new slide, and is loaded as a background image so that it fills the whole slide area.

Sub AutomaticallyCreateAPresentation()
'
' Automatically creates a presentation of pictures
'
Dim fso, fldr, subFldr, oFiles, oFile

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set fldr = fso.GetFolder("C:\temp\")

Set oFiles = fldr.Files
Rw = 1
For Each oFile In oFiles

ActiveWindow.View.GotoSlide Index:=ActivePresentation.Slides.Add(Index:=ActivePresentation.Slides.Count, Layout:=ppLayoutBlank).SlideIndex
With ActiveWindow.Selection.SlideRange
.FollowMasterBackground = msoFalse
.DisplayMasterShapes = msoTrue
With .Background
.Fill.Visible = msoTrue
.Fill.ForeColor.RGB = RGB(255, 255, 255)
.Fill.BackColor.SchemeColor = ppAccent1
.Fill.Transparency = 0#
.Fill.UserPicture oFile
End With
End With

Next oFile
End Sub

Hope this helps!

Glenn

Wow Glenn
Thats easier than what I figured out to do.
I set up a form so that the user could browse for one picture and the form would shorten the filename and then do a filesearch in that folder. Then the form inserted them as images onto the slides.

Thanks,
MAtt

Heres my code. I know its ugly, but it works. There is also code at the end to change the transition properties of all the slides. Btw, i dont have any underscores in my code.

Private Sub CommandButton4_Click()
'File Search and insert
Dim Folder As String
Dim X As String
Dim Num As Integer
Folder = TextBox1.Value
Num = InStrRev(Folder, "\")
Folder = Left(Folder, Num)
Set fs = Application.FileSearch
With fs
.LookIn = Folder
.FileName = "*.jpg"
If .Execute(SortBy:=msoSortByFileName,_ SortOrder:=msoSortOrderAscending) > 0 Then
MsgBox "There were " & .FoundFiles.Count &_
" file(s) found in folder, " & Folder
For i = 1 To .FoundFiles.Count
X = .FoundFiles(i)
ActiveWindow.Selection.SlideRange.Shapes.AddPicture(FileName:=X, LinkToFile:=msoFalse, SaveWithDocument:=msoTrue, Left:=0, Top:=0, Width:=720, Height:=540).Select
ActiveWindow.Selection.ShapeRange.LockAspectRatio =_ msoFalse
ActiveWindow.View.GotoSlide Index:=ActivePresentation.Slides.Add(Index:=1,_ Layout:=ppLayoutBlank).SlideIndex
ActivePresentation.Slides.Range(Array(1)).Select
Next i
Else
MsgBox "There were no files found."
Exit Sub
End If
End With

Dim TmSet As Integer
If IsEmpty(TmCtrl.Value) = True Then
TmSet = TmCtrl.Value
With ActivePresentation.Slides.Range.SlideShowTransition
.EntryEffect = ppEffectNone
.AdvanceOnClick = msoTrue
.AdvanceOnTime = msoTrue
.AdvanceTime = TmSet
.SoundEffect.Type = ppSoundNone
End With
End If
End Sub

I'm trying to do a similar thing people but I have pre-defined names for the files I am looking for. To generate the file names I am concatonating a list to the locations (for example) c3 thru to c9 based on criteria of say all fotos of son number 3. Then with the contents of those cells I want to insert the matching files from external location into current file. My problem is simply getting the macro to identify changing cell contents. I can get 1 pic / file in but only a fixed name, not a changing one. I'm sure this is simple but I'm a novice.
Thanks appreciated.

"Deliver MORE than you promise"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back