Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automate Import/Export

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 9, 2003
AR
Is there a way to automate import and export of data? Every night I need to export a few queries. I will have to upload them to another database. Is there a way I can have SQL kick out the txt file? I'm also having to do a daily import of account balances. Is there a way for SQL to do an auto import of this data into the correct table?

that true that DTS is better way to go but schedule it so you don't have to do it again and again.

You can schedule DTS jobs to run automatically, at a set time of day.
Thanks

J. Kusch

Create your DTS package to send your query results out to a text file. Once you are done, save the DTS Package to your desired name. When DTS closes, you will be back in the local packages area. Right-Click on the new DTS Package you just created and there you will be able to schedule it like a regular job.

Thanks

J. Kusch

Sorry if I'm a big ignorant to what your talking about. What is a DTS package, and how do I create one? Is there a site someone could refer me to for some additional help?

Open SQL Books Online (BOL) and read about Data Transformation Services (DTS). Read about the Import/Export Wizard. Read about scheduled jobs.

In addition to SQL BOL, there are some good resources on the Web. faq183-962 - "Where can I find more DTS information and samples?" contains several links.

If you are not familiar with SQL BOL, see faq183-689 - "What are SQL Books Online & Where Can I Find Them?"

If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874 and faq183-3179.
Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back