Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

automate appearance of message box 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarora87

Technical User
Feb 18, 2011
BE
Dear all
I have a dangerous colleague who might shut down my computer in case I am not sitting on my desk. I would like to create a message box that says "Heyyyy, please do not shut down my computer" whenever he tries to do so.
Could you please help me? I am a total beginner
Many thanks
Abhi

I think this is best accomplished with a sticky note put on your monitor or the off button of your computer.

If that fails, try a slap to the face.

Good luck,
- Miller

Thanks a lot MillerH, very practical suggestion. I thought I might as well take it as an opportunity to learn some perl programming (which I have heard a lot about) and get something out of losing my unsaved files thanks to my colleague's antics.

Could any genius provide a solution? I use XP professional here at my office.
The deeper question is-say I have created a message box using notepad. Can I program such that it would show up on a task say user clicking on the shut-down button? If you think there is a better forum for posting such layman questions, would anyone be kind anough to suggest it to me?

Cheerios and have a happy weekend
Abhi

Maybe get a pit bull? With sharp teeth.

I have to say the whole reason I started learning perl was the 'Employee Appreciation' web page we set up to do things like play random sounds on their computers, reboot them, lock the screen, flip the screens (unix), shrink the screens (unix), print out blank pages on their printers.. so I applaud what your trying to do :D

But, No way to stop someone hitting the button.. my friend did set up a web cam with motion detection to scream things out of the speakers. He eventually had a Billy Bass start talking to someone when they walked in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[noevil]
Travis - Those who say it cannot be done are usually interrupted by someone else doing it; Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions;

Wow, Travs69, I can clearly sense your expertise in Perl. Wish I had a good teacher rather than struggling alone through internet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back